Saturday, June 4, 2011

Changing a clutch on a 250 class motorcross bike?

if it matters, the bike is a %26#039;98 CR 250. The original clutch is in the bike and has never been inspected; I ride trails and dunes and am one of those guys who use the clutch only for 1st gear. The symptom I am seeing is just the clutch slipping, other than that no problems with the bike. I am wondering what parts I need to change this clutch. I have changed clutches in a streetbike w/ a manual before w/ no problems. I would like to go to a parts counter and order what is commonly needed to change it; should I buy any bearings, metal clutch plates, clutch basket or am I probably ok w/ just the friction plates? any special tools needed? manual? I have sockets, common sense, torque wrench and other common tools.|||I would buy a full clutch kit. Comes with the pads and metal rings. Make sure you soak them in oil for 30minutes before putting them in. Also you may have to buy a new clutch basket. It is best to pull the basket out first and rub you fingers in the area where the plates ride. If there are any grooves you might be able to file them down or you%26#039;ll have to buy a new basket. If you don%26#039;t you will have gears sticking on you down the line. For the clutch kit I use Dirt Diggers and they have not given me any problems.