Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I have a 2001 chevy s10 which needs a new clutch.?

I am looking to replace the clutch in my truck to avoid pay the high cost for mechanics. I am pretty good at mechanics but have never changed a clutch. it is a 2001 chevy s10 extended cab 2.2l truck. I will have help and want to know if there is anything i should know or be aware of. I really don't know what to expect and i imagine it to be little difficult since i have to drop the transmission. If you can give me some information i would greatly appreciatte it. thanks
I have a 2001 chevy s10 which needs a new clutch.?
I changed one clutch in my life. There is one tool you will definately need. Ask your parts store, I can't remember the name but it is a plastic spline shaft to keep stuff in line while the tranny is out.
I have a 2001 chevy s10 which needs a new clutch.?
Gather together your parts. You will need the clutch plate, and while it's apart, you might as well do the pilot bearing and throw out bearing. See http://www.thepartsbin.com/guides/chevy/鈥?/a> to get the kit for your vehicle.



And you're right, to get to it, you need to drop the transmission, which means removing the drive shaft also. Easy enough if you happen to have a lift in your garage, and a good transmission jack, otherwise it means raise it up, jack stands, and laying on your back under the truck, a floor jack with some 2 by 4's, etc.



Actually it won't be that expensive to have it done, which would be my recommendation. If you really really want to do it yourself, pick up a Chilton's manual for your truck and read the chapter on clutches.
Go on and pay the money, it's worth it. Unless of coarse you have a lift and a transmission jack. This really isn't a %26quot;lay in the dirt%26quot; job. But if you do decide to do it make sure you keep everything in line (ex torque converter, throw out bearing, stuff like that) b/c if somethings not sitting rite when you go to put it back together it will never work and you'll have to take it to the shop anyway.